Sunday, June 22, 2008

Plans, Plans, Plans...

I've got a lot of plans lined up for my two-month holiday, but I'm halfway through the holiday and I still haven't done any of the things I've planned. Times like this make me wish that I'm not Malay, because, well, you know what they say...

My first plan was to compile all of the pictures I took on my Tokyo trip last month, and make 1r copies for a few people. I did that when I came back from Melbourne and I think that I did it within the first week of coming back from that trip. How come I've been so lazy these past 2-3 weeks?

I'm going to do what I did to The Fray's How to Save a Life to Hujan's Bila Aku Sudah Tiada. I think that Hujan is a great band and is setting a good example for teenage kids who's aspiring to become musicians. Problem is, I got bored of their songs after just a short while. I think it's because their songs are too vocal-heavy for me. Their instruments, except for a few interesting riffs, get drowned by the vocals and I think that's the only reason why they're becoming so popular now. You know how pop songs tend to have very simple and repetitive music with a lot of emphasis on the vocals? That's how I see them now and thus, that is why I am inserting another guitar to that particular song.

Which reminds me. I'm glad that bands like Hujan and Meet Uncle Hussain are getting mainstream listeners to notice them but how long will it last? No, I'm not talking about the attention they're getting but how much longer can their music last? Firstly, they often get the "Malaysian New Artiste" syndrome, where they're only famous for a year or so. It's not like I'm a big fan of their music in the first place, but I really do hope that they'll last longer Black Maria. Who's Black Maria? My point exactly. Secondly, these indie bands usually change the way they write songs to "better fit" mainstream radio. They use words like maturing, exploring or experimenting to disguise it, but who are we kidding here? If you're selling out, then you might as well be open about it but I digress...

Another plan is to do a simple workout I've concocted everyday for two months. It's basically to improve upper body muscle mass and jumping ability. It takes roughly 20-30 minutes to complete but I got injured a few weeks back. Haven't done a complete set in more than 2 weeks.

Last thing I wanted to get done was my short story. The story's quite complicated, but I'll try to keep it short here. Basically, the main character's in love with this one girl. He waited for her for almost a year and she's finally giving him signals. The problem is, he finds out that the girl is cluelessly still in love with her ex, and going into a relationship with her would be like taking poison. He gets stoned for a few days straight and the story will revolve on the fifth day that he's stoned. By the way, what's the minimum word count for a short story?

P/s: Pray that I'll get over my "malas" streak and get all of these things done by August.

No comments: