Saturday, April 28, 2007

My first Hindi movie moment

Hindi movie moment - a moment in time that makes you feel like you're in a Hindi movie.

This happened sometime during 2004.

So how did the day start? Like crap. I had to wake up early for this MARA interview and had to go all the way to MARA HQ in KL. I spent a few hours waiting for my turn while sitting on a very uncomfortable chair. Almost got my cover blown by my interviewer(interviewer: so your CV says that you know basic programming...)

Of course, a day like that wouldn't be in a Hindi movie unless something extremely corny happened in between. So here's the in-between part. During my hours upon hours of waiting, i kept on looking at this girl. She had long straight hair(rebonding ke? taklah, syampu je), wore glasses and looked good in a baju kurung. My Hindi movie started after I went out of the waiting area to answer a phone call.

After hours of imagining myself talking to this lovely girl(instead of preparing for my interview) I actually saw that there were no more seats in the waiting area except for one spot next to the girl. Coincidence? Or a Hindi movie director at work?

I sat down. Kept on looking at all sorts of direction other than hers. After a few sessions of heavy breathing on my part, I managed to talk to her for a few minutes before an old guy started to talk to me about how he's worried about his son's interview. After the old guy was done, I turned to face her but at that same exact moment the clerk called me up. I had to go for my interview.

Before that, let me explain why I think the girl was special. First of all, she's fluent in English which is quite rare among Malays. Secondly, she's not a stuck-up snob like most of the Malays who are fluent in English. Thirdly, she's blessed both physically(beautifully cute) and mentally(10A1s for her SPM). Now on with the story.

Of course, I didn't go straight to the interview. The MARA people made me wait for another half an hour or so on a small chair outside the actual interview room. Whatever it is, I got through my interview and went back to the waiting area with hopes of continuing my chat. She wasn't there. She must have been assigned to a different room. I took the elevator down. Can't really remember the trip.

I remember spending less than a minute on the ground floor before I started running through the stairs all the way to the third floor. I went through the waiting area and started to search for the girl. Turned out she was merely inches away from the first door i opened. She was still waiting for her interview.

me : (still trying to catch breath) Hi.
her : (puzzled)Hi...
me : ok. i know that you might think that i'm weird, and stuff, but can i have your number?

That was basically how the thing went. I won't go into detail about what happened next. Suffice to say that I had my first Hindi movie moment that day. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy runs back up the stairs to search for girl. Typical, huh?

No comments: